Since 2001, Our Own Voice is an online literary journal that provides a home space for the creative expressions of Filipinos in the diaspora.
We believe there is a growing breed of Filipino who is a foreigner in his old home, an alien in his new land, who is straddling two cultures without belonging to either one, or who may be trying to belong to either one.
What are we looking for?
- works that reflect Filipino insights and experiences in the diaspora;
- a foreigner’s experience of the Filipino culture;
- reviews of works authored by Filipinos or articles and commentaries pertaining to the Filipino abroad;
- unpublished stories, poetry and essays by Filipinos written in English or Tagalog;
- “wanting to go to America” genre;
- essays pertaining to the writing life;
- dramatic pieces describing the struggle of Filipinos overseas.
We are also interested in works by those who have grown up influenced strongly by other cultures, but who intentionally own their Filipino heritage.
- Short story up to 5,000 words
- Five poems for a single submission, not more than 50 lines per poem
- Essays, book reviews and critiques up to 5,000 words
- Excerpts from dramatic pieces or plays limited to 3,000-5,000 words
For works that significantly exceed these word count parameters, please query the editor. We will not outright reject a piece because it is too long.
Where to send your submissions:
Send to our.own.voice[at]gmail.com. Authors will be notified of the status of their submission by e-mail.
Deadlines and frequency of issues:
Issues will appear quarterly. However if the work is submitted past an issue’s deadline, it will be rolled forward for consideration for a future issue.